So, I'm not quite sure who stole by perfect baby and replaced her with the one who forgot how to sleep through the night? It started slowly last Monday. I had a small glass of Diet Coke (my first in over a year...I have not started drinking caffeine yet.) That night Haley had me up twice and I chalked it up to the caffeine and said I would have to continue to stay away from it. Then she had her 4 month immunizations on Wednesday and both that night and the next she had us up a few time during the night. But then Friday hit and we were up 5 or 6 times and one time for 2 hours. And the only difference last night (Saturday) was that we were up the same amount of times but thankfully none were for 2 hours. She does not seem interested in nursing, but rather somehow is waking her self up and she cannot go back to sleep on her own. The only way we can get her to sleep (& it has been this way for months) is for her to fall asleep in our arms and then we can lay her down in her crib (a bad habit, I know.) One time when I went in last night thinking she was awake by the amount of noise that was coming out of her room, she was still sleeping but was fussing and violently thrashing only to awaken a few minutes later after I returned to bed since she was still asleep.
So, if you have seen my baby that I bragged slept through the night, please return her ASAP as Steve and I are walking zombies!
p.s. If you have any advice, please, please do share. And crying-it-out is not an option as I cannot handle seeing how upset she gets.
the faces that bless me
8 years ago

If you don't like the cry-it-out (we had to do that with Savannah at 3 months as she was waking up every 45 minutes at night), I would try to stand by her crib and pat her. The other thing that helps is to pick her up and as soon as she is quiet, put her back in her crib and pat her. If she gets upset again, repeat. That way she knows you are there, but she learns to go to sleep by herself. The key to really sleeping through the night is the ability to put herself to sleep. Can she roll over from back to front? My girls always sleep better on their tummies and both rolled early, so they were on their tummies by 4 months. They also like to sleep on their sides. The Baby Whisperer is a great book. I've also heard good things about the no cry sleep solution book.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry she is not sleeping. I've been there and it stinks. Good luck and nap when she naps.
I agree with the above comment. We used the Baby Whisperer method and that seemed to work great. It is tiring at first, but worth it in the long run. Basically what you do at this age is pick her up when you go in and pat and shush her back to sleep. As SOON as she calms down, put her in her crib and continue to pat her. If she starts to get upset again, pick her up until she's calm and repeat. Eventually it will just be a matter of going in and patting her (not picking up) and then we even got to a point where I could go in and just "shush" and she would calm down and go back to sleep. I like this method b/c it makes them feel like they are not alone, but you're not rocking her to sleep every night.
ReplyDelete